Mommy A's Parenting Style

Wednesday, March 29, 2017


I still considered myself as very young mom. I actually thought that I would become a mom at the age of 30, you know to be as prepared as I can be in all aspects. But life really has a way of teasing us, I actually become a mom at the age of 25 and honestly, it scares me in ways unimaginable.
But when I have come to terms to the fact that I’m a mom (I considered myself a mom from the time that we know I was pregnant), I have already laid out in my head a few things I wanted to be as a mom/parent:

1.       I have heard and read a few things about positive and positive teaching most of the preschools are employing right now, and it strongly appeals to me as a parent. I still have a lot to learn on how I will apply it to Niklaus. Good thing, I still have a few years/months before the real struggle begins. Check more of this positive parenting here and here.

2.       I’ve recently come across the term “minimalist parenting”, this is one of the ideas in my mind that I thought of before but didn’t know there was a term for it. What I had in mind is that I don’t want my son to have so much toys, I want him to play with people, with us, with his environment. I want him to make his own toys out of the resources available. Actually, this minimalist thing wouldn’t only apply to my parenting style but to our lifestyle as well. I’ve got a lot of researching to do. This article  provides four steps to minimalist parenting. 

3.       As much as I love to read books, I’m really struggling to squeeze it, so thankfully, there’s this show on Netflix entitled “The Beginning of Life”. I am just on the first episode and I’ve already learned so much. I really need to finish this show. The show is a documentary on how we develop from infancy. It showcases people and experts from around the world; different methods and techniques on how an infant can fully develop his learning capabilities.

I love what one expert said on human brain, he said that our brain function three times more during 0-3 years than the rest of our lives. It was an AHA moment for me and a great challenge as a parent. Another one said that, we were not born on a blank slate, there are so many knowledge stock in our brain and all it needed is a bit of spark to light them up.

So based on what I’ve watched so far, here are the things that I will infuse more in Niklaus’ everyday activity:
a.       Again, to expose him to more people, this is really important, fellow parents, studies shows that a child’s social skills has a huge contribution on its cognitive development.
b.      Let them be children, let them be curious about all the things around them. At this early stage, our child is still exploring and learning all things about his existence and the new world he is into. So what we parents can do is to provide an environment that will encourage curiosity and keep them from learning without actually feeling like they are being taught to. Play time is very important and the best way to infuse those learnings we want to teach our children.
c.       To ensure that for the times that I am at home, I get to spend it with him. Talking, playing, reading books and singing songs for him, these are the activities that we always do everyday. 

So there you have it. These are only a few of what I have thought of and applying right now. And I know these do not cover all aspects, so I have a lot of catching up on researching and figuring things out as we go along way. 

Thankfully, I have a partner to think this through. I really salute all the parents out there, our parents who have strived and are striving to be the best for their children and give them the best they can. 

Hope that this post helps you on your parenting, too. I would love to know your parenting style that really works so I can copy and apply them to my son. Let me know on the comment section below. 

Thank you!

Love
~A


No comments :

Post a Comment